1. Now Joseph had been taken down to Egypt. Potiphar, an Egyptian who was one of Pharaoh’s officials, the captain of the guard, bought him from the Ishmaelites who had taken him there.
2. The LORD was with Joseph and he prospered, and he lived in the house of his Egyptian master.
3. When his master saw that the LORD was with him and that the LORD gave him success in everything he did,
4. Joseph found favor in his eyes and became his attendant. Potiphar put him in charge of his household, and he entrusted to his care everything he owned.
5. From the time he put him in charge of his household and of all that he owned, the LORD blessed the household of the Egyptian because of Joseph. The blessing of the LORD was on everything Potiphar had, both in the house and in the field.
6. So he left in Joseph’s care everything he had; with Joseph in charge, he did not concern himself with anything except the food he ate. Now Joseph was well-built and handsome,
7. and after a while his master’s wife took notice of Joseph and said, “Come to bed with me!”
8. But he refused. “With me in charge,” he told her, “my master does not concern himself with anything in the house; everything he owns he has entrusted to my care.
9. No one is greater in this house than I am. My master has withheld nothing from me except you, because you are his wife. How then could I do such a wicked thing and sin against God?”
10. And though she spoke to Joseph day after day, he refused to go to bed with her or even be with her.
19. When his master heard the story his wife told him, saying, “This is how your slave treated me,” he burned with anger.
20. Joseph’s master took him and put him in prison, the place where the king’s prisoners were confined. But while Joseph was there in the prison,
21. the LORD was with him; he showed him kindness and granted him favor in the eyes of the prison warden.
22. So the warden put Joseph in charge of all those held in the prison, and he was made responsible for all that was done there.
23. The warden paid no attention to anything under Joseph’s care, because the LORD was with Joseph and gave him success in whatever he did.